Archive for the ‘NET11’ Category

Module One

March 6, 2007

I’d never even heard of Telnet before today, however after spending some time playing around it does seem familiar to the library data base I used when I was in high school.

Typing in the Deakin address was the easy part, from there I was lost. Thank goodness for the ? HelpĀ  menu, after going through this I realised I had to have a ‘o’ before the address to tell the system what to do, suddenly I was in the system!!

From there it was pretty straight forward, each page had the prompts telling you want could be done.

When I opened up my email address and the email from Deakin was sitting there, it was like I’d won the lottery, it might be one tiny step, but it’s a step all the same!!

Although simple Telnet did the job of finding the book, I did find myself always going for my mouse however, I’m no longer used to a keyboard only environment.

FTP: Again something I’d never heard of before, however again it was pretty easy to understand the basics of it. I logged on to the Curtin site without a problem and found the readme.txt file without too much hassle and found the missing word, capitalisation.

Not sure what I can use FTP for, but I’m sure I’ll find out soon!

Traceroutes:

After trying a traceroute from http://centralops.net/co/ to curtin.edu.au I received the following information

1 0 1 0 70.84.211.97 61.d3.5446.static.theplanet.com
2 0 0 0 70.84.160.129 vl1.dsr01.dllstx5.theplanet.com
3 0 0 0 70.85.127.105 po51.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com
4 0 0 0 70.87.253.5 et5-1.ibr03.dllstx3.theplanet.com
5 0 0 0 157.238.225.5 xe-4-4.r03.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
6 0 0 0 129.250.3.121 xe-2-1-0.r20.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
7 5 5 6 129.250.4.71 p64-1-0-0.r20.hstntx01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
8 41 41 41 129.250.4.112 p64-1-3-0.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
9 41 41 41 129.250.3.159 p16-1-0-0.r02.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
10 41 41 41 198.172.90.102 so-2-1-0.a00.lsanca02.us.ce.verio.net
11 197 197 197 202.158.194.153 so-3-2-0.bb1.b.syd.aarnet.net.au
12 209 209 209 202.158.194.33 so-2-0-0.bb1.a.mel.aarnet.net.au
13 218 218 218 202.158.194.17 so-2-0-0.bb1.a.adl.aarnet.net.au
14 245 245 245 202.158.194.5 so-0-1-0.bb1.a.per.aarnet.net.au
15 246 245 248 202.158.198.178 gigabitethernet0.er1.curtin.cpe.aarnet.net.au
16 246 246 245 202.158.198.186 gw1.er1.curtin.cpe.aarnet.net.au
17 246 246 246 134.7.250.18  
18 246 246 247 134.7.248.65 te1-1.b309-sr.net.curtin.edu.au
19 246 246 246 134.7.179.10 prodweb1.curtin.edu.au

and pinging

Pinging curtin.edu.au [134.7.179.10] with 32 bytes of data…

Results

count ttl (hops) rtt (ms) from
1 239 246 134.7.179.10
2 239 246 134.7.179.10
3 239 246 134.7.179.10
4 239 246 134.7.179.10
5 239 246 134.7.179.10

Statistics

packets sent 5
received 5 100%
lost 0 0%
times (ms) min 246
avg 246
max 246

Not cpmpletly sure what this figures mean, so I will re read the sites on traceroutes and pings to try and solve the mystery.